Sun worshipping is out but sun-kissed skin is in. It’s possible to get a smooth, even tan without ever hitting the beach. Airbrushed spray tans offer the color and shade you want, letting you skip the sun (and DIY self tanning products) completely. Get the scoop on airbrushed tans and top tips to make your first experience a great one!
Spray tan versus sun exposure
There’s nothing that lifts the spirits more than enjoying a sunny afternoon outdoors. For many, enjoying the sun also means protecting your skin from it with sunscreen, cover ups and a hat. But even with the newest products, sun exposure means sun damage, and premature aging, dark spots, freckles and sun spots, and an increased risk for skin cancer. Spray tanning, however, offers a sunless glow.
Increasingly, clients get a spray tan before heading to the beach or pool, so they can slather on high SPF sunscreen or even hide under an umbrella, and still enjoy the look of a tan.
Do the results look natural?
Spray tans use a tinted product that contains DHA, made from the juice of beets, that reacts with the top layer of skin, turning it brown. Spray tans, unlike any DIY self-tanners, do not give you an orange look – the color is a natural looking tan.
Your technician can also adjust the color and shade of your spray tan by controlling how much product is sprayed on your skin, and how many applications are done.
Initially you’ll see the tint, but within a day a lasting color develops. The look is a smooth, consistent tan. Most people think it looks better than a sun tan because the color is so even and there’s coverage on hard-to-tan areas (like behind the knees or under the arms). .
How long does it last?
Because spray tans color the top layer of your skin, they will last only as long as it takes to shed that skin, typically 7-10 days.
What should I expect at my appointment?
Arrive with clean skin, free from all products, moisturizers and makeup. You’ll be given a wrap or robe to change into and a cap to cover your hair. You can wear an old or dark colored bathing suit or underwear during the spray, or go au natural.
Your technician will explain the process and show you a few poses that will allow the airbrush to reach all surfaces before beginning, then you’ll stand on a towel in a spray tent or spray room and remove your wrap or robe. Your palms and nails will be covered with a layer of hand cream, to keep these areas from being tanned.
The technician will use a handheld airbrush to spray a thin coat of the tanning product over your skin, taking care to evenly coat arms and legs, chest and back, and even face, if desired. The spray doesn’t make a mist or cloud. It’s directed right onto your skin, and is applied thin enough to prevent any pooling or dripping. Depending on your coloring and desired results, the process may be repeated several times to darken the application.
The tint in the product allows you anticipate the results and ensure even coverage. Your technician may apply a light layer of power or talc to your skin after your spray tan so clothes will glide over skin.
A spray tan takes 8-12 hours to set and develops fully in 24 hours. Spray tan appointments take about 30 minutes.
Tips for a great spray tan experience
A good technician should explain the process, answer all of your questions and take steps to make you feel comfortable and relaxed during your spray tan. Here are a few other tips:
- Shower, shave and gently exfoliate the night before your spray tan to remove old or dry surface skin cells, helping your spray tan adhere better and last longer
- Wear dark, loose clothing so it won’t be stained by the tinted spray, or rub or stick to your skin
- Don’t shower for 8-12 hours after your spray tan, and don’t shave your legs, to allow the spray to set and develop fully
- After showering, blot skin dry with the towel, don’t rub
- After your initial shower, moisturize your skin to make your spray tan last
- Don’t use lotions with alcohol
- Don’t add self tanner to your spray tan. It can make your skin look blotchy or change colors.
- Wear sunscreen in the sun! A spray tan is not a base tan and offers no protection from the sun – so slather it on!
- As skin cells slough off you may notice tan marks on white or light bathing suits and clothing that rubs on your skin. Use stain spray to treat these fabrics before washing.
A glowing sunless tan can be yours at any time of the year – before the beach or even a special occasion. Spray tans are offered at the Radiance Lansdowne location. Radiance also offers single spray tans or packages of 3. So, get glowing today!